The Scottish independence referendum takes place on September 18th 2014. The voters will be asked one question: « Should Scotland be an independant country? »
The result of the referendum should be known on the 19th September. Today a poll (sondage) shows the « yes » side in the lead for the first time. Many people still haven’t made up their mind.
Here are a few articles to help you understand more about the Scottish independence referendum:
– a very clear BBC article which explains why the referendum is taking place, what are the arguments « for and against » and the key issues at stake
– a website for resources and views on the referendum
– a pdf to download with the background information
– a video with different opinions for and against :
– 9 reasons why Scotland is better off independant :
– the arguments against Scottish independence :
– Oral comprehension (type BAC)
– What is at stake? (BBC videos)
Do you think that Scotland should become independant?