1. Introduce the notion you have chosen, define it and briefly explain how you will present it
I am going to talk about the idea of progress……..
First of all I would like to give a definition of this notion: The idea of progress can be defined as an improvement, a development or a change – a technical, scientific or social advance which contributes to making the world a better place.
This year in class we studied several documents about the idea of progress and in particular …….
In order to illustrate this notion I have chosen to talk about (the power of money/immigration in the USA/the American Dream)
……and attempt to answer the question (posez ici votre « problématique » par exemple : to what extent does Barack Obama embody the American Dream)?
To answer this question I will present two documents…….
(Si vous ne trouvez pas de problématique ne paniquez pas! Vous pouvez présenter la notion en parlant simplement du sujet que vous choisi: « In order to illustrate this notion I have chosen to talk about immigration in the USA and in particular the American Dream »)
2. Present the different documents you have chosen
The first document I have chosen is a newspaper article taken from the British newspaper « the Daily Telegraph » it deals with the problem of…….
– It indicates that……….
-The journalist draws our attention to the fact that………
– He claims that………………………
-He/she refers to the fact that ………………………..
3.Explain the author’s/narrator’s/artist’s point of view
Through this illustration the artist wants to show us that he/she approves of …
After reading this article we understand that the author sides with ….
The journalist is against the idea of ……………………
He / she criticizesthe government for not doing enough
The author disapproves ofthe behaviour of the football players…..
The journalist gives an unbiased opinionand lets us make our own minds up about the subject. He simply provides us with the information.
4. Explain the link with the notion you have to talk about
– The cartoon shows us the evolution of today’s society and the fact that technology has progressed
-It is an interesting/ relevant illustration of the notion of spaces and exchanges as it shows just how globalisation has changed our world
– This song perfectly illustrates the idea of myths and heroes because……….
– The extract from the film proves that…
5. If possible make a link between the documents
– Both the article and the film make us realize that…
– The first two articles help us to understand that…..
– In all three documents, the idea put forward is ….
-There is a relationship between….and….
-The author/journalist/painter/singer/artist wants to draw our attention to …
6. Make a personal conclusion by giving your opinion on the document and perhaps opening up onto another notion or future prospects
– I totally agree with the idea that……………………..
– I really enjoyed reading this article because I am very interested in…………………
– I have to disagree with the author because….
– It is important not to forget that…………..
– This article could also be linked to the notion of the idea of progress because……..
– We have to be careful because in the future this could lead to (mener à)
– There are advantages to social progress but there are also disadvantages such as…..
– It is important that we are aware of the d angers
Don’t forget to make a link with another notion in your conclusion, perhaps a notion that you are more confident with. The examiner will then maybe ask you questions about that notion.
For example if you present documents about Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King to illustrate the notion of places and forms of power you could add at the end:
« We can also relate these articles to the notion of Myths and Heroes. Indeed Rosa Parks and ML King are considered as heroes to many people: Before the Civil Rights Movement, when whites were thought to be better than all other races, they decided it was time for change. »
This could even be linked to the « idea of progress » as what Rosa Parks and ML King did contributed to a change in rights for Black people in the USA. A lot of progress has been made since they stood up for the rights of black Americans, there is no more segregation and even the American President is black. This can be considered as great progress for human rights.
- Comment définir les quatre notions? (anglaispourlebac.com)